More than forty new faculty members started at Brown this fall. Among them are:
• Jonathan Conant, an expert on North African medieval history.
• Amanda Lynch, a professor of geological sciences who studies hclimate change in the Arctic.
• Eric Renault, a world-renowned economic theorist who studies what's known as "decision theory," which answers questions such as how does a human being optimize his welfare in the face of uncertainty.
• Fiery Cushman, a psychologist who uses brain imaging and other techniques to study how humans make moral decisions.
• This year will also mark the first time in three decades that a Brown graduate has been hired as a faculty member in the economics department. Stelios Michalopoulos '05 AM, '08 PhD studies economic growth and the development of cultures and societies.